Re: Comments on DOM 2

David Brownell wrote:

> That's the "built in to application" scenario.  Though in this case
> you're expecting some parse-time interaction _with a parser_ which is
> currently out of scope for DOM ... it's not a parser API, and doesn't
> provide a way to access a parser.

OK.  But it has to "tell" my application, that the XML document has a
PI before the DTD so that my application can generate -- in my parser
scenario -- the external DTD before the external DTD is parsed. That
is what I ment with my statement:

> > Beside that:  The minimum requirement for a final DOM version is that
> > it offers a way so that each well formed XML document can be parsed
> > properly.
>
> For L1 and L2, the requirement is to _represent_ the document properly.
>
> Parsers are (or in some cases "should become") separate components.
> You can give a DOM as output of a parser if you want, but that's not
> required.  Parsers can use DOM APIs to construct a representation.
>
> You're talking about some structure where the application can perform
> an interaction with the parser; doesn't really matter how the parser
> and DOM interact, or if DOM is an output (though it's the model you've
> presented).
>
> In this case, when the app gets your magic PI from the parser, and knows
> to create the DTD external subset ... it won't need to do anything else,
> but it needs to do that mid-parse, before the parser has started to try
> to read whatever is after the PI (e.g. DTD).

That's roughly the scenario I had in mind.  Only to make my point
clear:  The parser starts parsing the document and first of all
stumbles over a PI, which tells it to immediately create an external
DTD; the parser waits until this DTD has been created, stumbles over
the external DTD declaration, reads it and goes then on parsing the
original document.  --  To program an XML editor to write a document
that instructs our parser to show the described behavior, it has to be
possible to create DOM trees with PIs before DTDs.  And this is *only*
a question of "representing the document properly" (quoting you).

 Dieter Koehler, M. A. - dieter.koehler@ppp.uni-bamberg.de
 Mittlere Kaulberg 22, D-96049 Bamberg, +49(0)951-5190726
 "http://www.philo.de/Philosophie-Seiten/": 1000+ Philosophie-Links
 "http://www.philo.de/VirtualLibrary/14.de.htm": Deutsche Philo-Links
 "http://www.philo.de/xml/": Open XML - XML-Komponenten fuer Delphi