Re: DOM Level 2 needs getElementById method

----- Original Message -----
From: John Bradley <john.bradley@kcl.ac.uk>
To: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Cc: <www-dom@w3.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 07, 1999 6:32 AM
Subject: Re: DOM Level 2 needs getElementById method

> From the tone of this note and others in this discussion, this whole
> issue seems to have stepped on a few toes.

Don't worry about that!  This mailing list exists for people *outside* the
W3C to comment on the usefulness of the DOM drafts to THEM.  It would be a
great help to the DOM WG if people would tell us exactly what they've tried
to do with the DOM API, what has stymied them, and what they'd like to see
in the standard that would make their lives easier.

> As the rest of my note says, it seems useful to me at least to
> support the interpretion of the ID/IDref construct in XML as a
> reference -- something that getElementById does not seem to do as far
> as I can see.

I for one don't fully understand what exactly your are suggesting to
"support the interpretation of the ID/IDREF construct in XML as a
reference".  Maybe a
      Node getReferencedNode(Attr idref)
method? And as someone noted, maybe a getIdAttribute method?  The more
specific the suggestion, the more likely it is to be carefully considered.

Thanks,

Mike Champion