Re: DOM Level 2 needs getElementById method

Forgive my perhaps careless wording, and, even worse perhaps, lack of
time to fully catch up with dicussions to date -- but it seems to me
that the point was made earlier by someone else that getElementById
was a part or the HTML specification -- not the SGML/XML side of
things.  It was in the context of XML that I meant my remark to be
interpreted, and where, for me it would (in the limited sense I
discussed before) be most useful, since my envisioned DOM application
would be with XML document, and furthermore with ones with many ID
and IDref links.

From the tone of this note and others in this discussion, this whole
issue seems to have stepped on a few toes. I am not trying to offend
here, and hope that the rest of my note receives some sort of comment
as well -- including useful comments that will improve my
understanding of the whole ID/IDref issue in the context of the DOM.
As the rest of my note says, it seems useful to me at least to
support the interpretion of the ID/IDref construct in XML as a
reference -- something that getElementById does not seem to do as far
as I can see.

The point Philippe Le Hegaret makes should be well taken, however,
and I'll take some time when I can to read at least some part of the
previous discussion.

Cheers!                      ... john b
On Thu, 07 Oct 1999 12:15:46 +0200 Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
wrote:

> John Bradley wrote:
> >
> > This is my issue also.  It seems to me that the linking of elements
> > by means of ID and IDrefs have been a part of SGML and XML from the
> > very beginning and represent an element of the XML/SGML specification
> > that so far seems to be ignored by the DOM builders.
>
> I made a search about getElementById in the DOM Interest Group mailing list.
> I found ... 871 documents, this issue doesn't seem to be ignored by the DOM
> builders.
>
> Regards,
> Philippe.
> ---------
> Philippe Le Hegaret - http://www.w3.org/People/LeHegaret/
> World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), DOM Activity Lead

John Bradley
john.bradley@kcl.ac.uk