Re: DOM Level 1 Becomes a W3C Recommendation

>The assumption is that amateurs
>will be creating programs (typically in scripting languages)

Thank you for making that assumption.

The majority of us using the web are not "professional" programmers, even
though we may have an extensive background in programming.

>, because
>the users of Level 1 aren't believed to be smart enough to
>figure out when to refresh them.

And it's really nothing to do with 'smarts', its to do with the fact that a
lot of _VERY_ smart people who are not professional programmers have to use
the internet as a tool.

As some one who instructs intelligent people who need to use the web, on how
to use the web, I can't begin to tell you how important it is to have a
common DOM API that works.

>and we can't allow them to create
>data structures which will cause other DOM methods to malfunction

Thank you for that. I'm probably smart enough to figure it out eventually,
but I don't want to have to take another few days out of my life to try and
find out why I crashed a program.

There is nothing to stop professional programmers writing their own
applications and scripts that manipulate documents. For the occasional user
we need an interface that is easily understandable and 'idiot' proof.

 Given the complexity of the subject, (and having been one of the more vocal
critics of the convolutions of the Working documents) I think the WG have
come up with a winner!

Congratulations!

Frank

Frank Boumphrey