Re: DOM Level 1 Becomes a W3C Recommendation

Claude Zervas wrote:

> Node.appendChild() is probably one of the most common method calls when
> building
> server-side documents (or parsing existing documents) and to purposely inhibit
> efficient implementation is extremely short-sighted (I'm being polite).

But remember that the cost of walking up the hierarchy to test whether
the inserted node is an ancestor only applies when the node is already
in the tree. In the case where the node is not in the tree, that is when
it has no parent, the test will be very cheap. And I expect this to be
the most common case.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors  -  W3C, DOM Activity Lead  -  www.w3.org/People/Arnaud