Re: PSA: Sam Ruby is co-Editor of URL spec

From: Jeff Jaffe <jeff@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 07:48:54 -0500
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>, Wendy Seltzer <wseltzer@w3.org>
CC: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@gmail.com>, www-archive <www-archive@w3.org>, "lehors@us.ibm.com >> Arnaud Le Hors/Cupertino/IBM" <lehors@us.ibm.com>, Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>

> No. I'm interested in the hypothetical we discussed during that
> meeting.

I don't recall that we were discussing hypotheticals in that meeting.
My recollection was we were discussing specific documents.  W3C Members
including Opera had agreed to work on those documents at W3C, and Opera
was proposing to use its copyright rights to do the work elsewhere.  W3C
was approached by some Members who felt that this was a breach of the
Member agreement to do the work at W3C and we thought that was a
reasonable interpretation.  We explained this to you and Opera's AC rep
and we offered to meet with Opera legal to see if they had a different
interpretation of the Member agreement.  You reported that Opera legal
had limited bandwidth and we never heard from Opera legal.