Re: Is the TAG structure harmful? [Was: Fwd: Forced Resignation]

On 1 Jul 2014, at 3:34 pm, Marc Fawzi <marc.fawzi@gmail.com> wrote:

> As a user of many web standards, and a reader of this list, the deeper question is why the election of members isn't open to all members of the web development community. It feels a little _old school_ to have members elected by anyone other than the people who do the actual work of building the web.
>
> I don't doubt that it's very naive, but it's a question that might as well be asked... since "voting" and membership has been brought up.

Personally, I think it’s a very topical question, but one without an easy answer. Membership fundamentally defines the nature of the W3C; this is oft-discussed.

To their credit, the W3C team and management have made many efforts to improve things over the year and counterbalance the effect of Members; more will hopefully be forthcoming.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/