Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-131 caret-location-api

Rich Schwerdtfeger
CTO Accessibility Software Group

<rubys@intertwingly.net>

> >> First off, I recommend that you read the other replies in this thread
> >> about fingerprinting as they explain the relationship between
> >> fingerprinting and cookies. The gist of it is that browsers are aware
> >> that the set of cookies the user has is something that identifies
> >> him/her on the web. Thus the browser can manage that identity, for
> >> example using features like private browsing. Statistical
> >> fingerprinting however, is not something we can manage.
> >>
> > I understand the issue but nobody is removing the problem and as I said
not
> > everyone pays attention to the private browsing features, especially
> > seniors.
>
> I have a hard time understanding what you are saying. Of course not
> everyone cares about privacy, just like not everyone cares about
> accessibility. How does that matter?

I am simply saying that private browsing features are inadequate, in
eliminating the privacy issue.
I used seniors as an example.

> >> Second, cookies were invented a long time ago, way before anyone had
> >> privacy on the web in mind. If we were to design them today we'd do it
> >> significantly differently. We're going through great pains to try to
> >> fix them now without breaking the web to the extent that no-one would
> >> use our browser.
> >>
> > I understand that too. I really do understand all your justification
for why
> > you don't remove cookies. However, I do not think that blink rate comes
> > should be elevated to the level of fingerprinting that is already
allowed by
> > cookies.
>
> It's not, I never said it was. I'm just saying that i'm opposed to add
> it to Firefox given that the value vs. cost ratio is so bad. Included
> in that cost is the cost to privacy.

We could go back and forth on this forever.

How about we get back to the question of implementation. Will Mozilla
implement the canvas accessibility features proposed for caret/selection?

OSX

> >> You are reading wrong. No where in that email am I talking about
> >> selection positioning. Only caret blink rate. And in the other email I
> >> sent shortly after I'm even discussion adding *more* APIs to manage
> >> selections and focus. Turns out that what I was proposing is what you
> >> had already proposed.
> >>
> >> I'd appreciate if you read my emails before throwing pretty grave
> >> accusations at me.

> >> Again, I doubt that anyone has said that they don't want accessible
> >> canvas. All the debates I have seen has been about how to archive
> >> accessibility. Designing good features for the web is hard. Reasonable
> >> people will disagree how to do it. I think that I can safely say that
> >> for every single web feature I've seen designed, people have disagreed
> >> on how to do it. That doesn't mean that people have different goals,
> >> just that they have different opinions on how to reach them.
> >> Accessibility is no different in this regard.
> >>
> >> I feel that it's very unfortunate that you are insisting on
> >> interpreting me (and apparently people on the whatwg list) in the
> >> worst possible way. The web will suffer from it.
> >>
> > So, what is your position on implementing the canvas
accessibilityfeatures?