Re: Objection to HTMLWG ISSUE-144 Change Proposal #2 (keep u non-conforming)

Karl Dubost, Wed, 6 Apr 2011 10:14:40 -0400:
> Le 1 avr. 2011 à 18:14, Aryeh Gregor a écrit :
>> The primary use-case for <u> is presentational markup,
>
> I'm not sure this is what it should be for kanjis
>
> data:text/html;charset=utf-8,<doctype
>
> Also
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underline

> http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/下線

> http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/下划���

I don't read Japanese. But it seemed (from Google Translate) that the
situation for underline in Japanese is similar to that of underline in
alphabetic texts: it is often meant as emphasis.

Btw, according to Wikipedia's Underline article, the Chinese underline
- a.k.a. 'proper noun/name mark' is *punctuation*:

]] In Chinese, the underline is a punctuation mark for proper names (專
名號, 专名号; pinyin: zhuānmínghào; literally “proper name mark”, used
for personal and geographic names). Its meaning is somewhat akin to
capitalization in English and should never be used for emphasis; [[

Being punctuation, it might not, strictly speaking, be correct to use a
underline _style_. Is it possible that one should rather use the
Combining Low Line (U-0332)? [1] Perhaps the I18N group has opinion on
this? (As a second best thing, <u> is definitively better than <span
style="*"> because, unlike <span> and similar to punctuation, it
doesn't disappear [unless you actively style it away].)

> I'm in favor of removing it.

-1

[1] http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/Unicode-3.2/U32-0300.pdf

--