Re: PROPOSAL: Procedure to Promote Progress With Accessibility Issues in HTML5

Steven Faulkner wrote:
> would you consider allowing me to edit your version of the spec instead
> of creating another copy.
> I would obviously consult with you on what sections i would be working
> on, to ensure that no conflicts occur.

Sure thing, although "my" version of the spec is auto-generated from
Ian's version of the spec by inserting the RDFa sub-section into the
latest HTML5 specification source. Do not edit the Overview.html file as
the changes will just be overwritten the next time we sync with Ian.

> at the current time it I intend to redraft the:
> 4.8.2 The img element
> (http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#the-img-element)
> in reference to the WAI consensus document advice
> (http://www.w3.org/2009/06/Text-Alternatives-in-HTML5)
> my inital thoughts are to remove the section 4.8.2.1 Requirements for
> providing text to act as an alternative for images from the spec and
> reformulate as a W3C  best practice note, referencing it from 4.8.2 The
> img element  along with relevant references from WCAG 2.0.

How does this sound as a plan of action:

1. You download, duplicate and edit the changes in the following file:
http://svn.whatwg.org/webapps/source
2. Send me the original file and your changed file (or create a diff
between the two if you know how to do that).
3. I will create/use the diff, check that in and create a script to
auto-patch Ian's latest version to WAI-approved language. I will then
run the patch against Ian's latest version and check in a document
titled "HTML5+ARIA" under the html5/aria directory. (If you need it to
be called something other than HTML5+ARIA or html5/aria, please say so
and I will change it).

This approach will allow us to track and update the latest HTML5 spec
with WAI language, and mix/match your modifications with other
modifications to the specification (such as RDFa).

> I am also intending to review the 4.9.2 The table element section
> http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#the-table-element in relation
> to summary.
> I don't know at this point what if/anything will be changed.

Sounds good. Just send me the original and the changed version and I'll
happily put something together and check it in.

-- manu

President/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: Bitmunk 3.1 Released - Browser-based P2P Commerce
http://blog.digitalbazaar.com/2009/06/29/browser-based-p2p-commerce/