Re: Fwd: tag: uri scheme

Hi Art,

I've had a quick look through the resources you referenced. It does seem
that tag: is a good candidate for your needs (although I have a couple
of questions below). You need an id scheme that isn't quite matched by
http etc., and it's better to avoid an entirely new scheme.

My points are:

(1) Don't you say you want internationalised ids? We (I) gave up on
IRI-compatible tags some time ago. It's do-able but I got mired in the
mud and ran out of time.

(2) Somewhere I saw a reference to using a fixed date, 2008, for
'security reasons". Well that's OK as long as any domain name (or email
address) that comes before it was indeed assigned to the minter of the
tag on 2008-01-01.

(3) From my glance at your documents, it seems that you need a
resolution algorithm, to go from a tag: to a resource inside a widget.
That's OK by the tag spec: there is no default resolution mechanism but
any tag usage protocol can define its own. AFAIK, Atom 'id' elements
(the biggest user of tag URIs) are chosen to be resolvable internally to
feed generators.

I hope that that is of some help, even though I've only had a little
time to look at your requirements. I'm actually on leave until January
now but may be able to respond occasionally in the meantime.

Cheers,

Tim.

--

Tim Kindberg