Re: [automattic] False Marketing

On 15 Dec 2008, at 12:06, Matt Mullenweg wrote:

>>> However I still do plan to get a spec doc up for it one day. If
>>> that were a condition of them [MT] supporting it I’d happily
>>> prioritize it.
>> When I brought this up on wp-hackers in July (2008), I received the
>> reply (from Otto):
>>> If you want it documented, then look at it and write a document
>>> for it.
>> Either there's a disconnect, or there's a change of plan. Is it
>> still the case that there is a spec coming?
>
> It's still on the list, but it's a long list. :) Most of my
> attention has been focused on 2.7.

If only to-do lists were linear FIFO lists. :)

>> That said, I think having some standardized format would be better,
>> and something based upon RSS probably isn't a good way to do that
>> (mainly because RSS is uselessly vague, and WXR would almost
>> certainly have to be defined as an extension of a subset of that
>> (e.g., Is the title element text or HTML? Different implementations
>> do different things here, some performing heuristics to try and
>> determine the answer.), but also because Atom has far more of what
>> is needed already standarized).
>
> Blogger already has an export format based on Atom. Working with
> that probably should be separate from WXR.

It does, however, seem to fully rely upon open standards, something
WXR does not. I still think something better than both could be come
up with, if it would be possible to get collaboration between WP, MT,
and Blogger (among others) in something like an IETF WG. There again,
I don't really want to try and set anything in action towards trying
to charter such a WG until I've spoken to people from other blogging
packages, and when I have more time. :)

--
Geoffrey Sneddon
<http://gsnedders.com/>