Re: let authors choose text/html or application/xhtml+xml (detailed review of section 1. Introduction)

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Aug 2007, Sam Ruby wrote:
>> (*) I can only presume that the current HTML5 draft reflects Ian's
>> current thinking on the matter which is that certain media types are to
>> be treated as authoritative, and others are to be treated as a hint and
>> possibly overridden based on sniffing.
>
> Actually, it doesn't. I think we should dump Content-Type altogether. The
> spec represents the closest I could get to the existing specs (in
> particular HTTP) without being ignored by browser vendors. There are many
> things in the HTML5 spec that I disagree with, but that are there because
> rational arguments were made and evidence presented. Another example of
> something in HTML5 I don't want there is the /> nonsense you argued for. :-)

OK, then perhaps it reflected your thinking at one time?

http://intertwingly.net/blog/2006/04/13/Dont-throw-charset-out-with-the-bathwater#c1169761908

In any case, I'm currently of a mind that all the text/* mime types are
beyond saving, but the rest are worth fighting for.  For what it is worth.

- Sam Ruby