Re: let authors choose text/html or application/xhtml+xml (detailed review of section 1. Introduction)

On Tue, 4 Sep 2007, Sam Ruby wrote:

> OK, then perhaps it reflected your thinking at one time?
>
> http://intertwingly.net/blog/2006/04/13/Dont-throw-charset-out-with-the-bathwater#c1169761908

There's a difference between what I agree the spec should say (which
involves compromising between the various constraints like being
consistent with other technologies and writing a spec that browser vendors
will implement) and what I want it to say.

> In any case, I'm currently of a mind that all the text/* mime types are
> beyond saving, but the rest are worth fighting for.  For what it is
> worth.

I don't think it's that simple. For example, image/* are a lost cause --
browsers uniformly treat any image types that they support as synonyms for
"supported image type", and they use magic numbers to identify types
beyond that. <script> elements ignore Content-Type altogether. And so on.