Re: POWDER: URIs or resources (1)

I think this is worse than a logical inconsistency.

It is that what the resource set formally says and how it is likely to
be implemented don't match.

Let's take a more plausible and controversial stance ....

The Internet Freedom Example Coalition decide that they oppose all
censorship on the web, and wish to undermine the work of ICRA and the
others, which they perceive as censorship. So they set up their server
so that

http://internet.freedom.example.org/get-it?http://porn.example.com/

effectively gets http://porn.example.com/ (with a hidden server side
redirect)

so that it would be possible to see

http://internet.freedom.example.org/get-it?http://porn.example.com/

as an alias for

http://porn.example.com/

i.e. both URIs identify the same resource.

However, in practice, most POWDER implementations will be unaware of
this fact, and a resource set such as

<ResourceSet>
   <excludeHosts>porn.example.com</excludeHosts>
</ResourceSet>

which, according to my reading of WDs, does, supposedly also exclude

http://internet.freedom.example.org/get-it?http://porn.example.com/

would, operationally, not exclude.

This divergenece between the effective operational semantics and the
formal semantics strikes me as a 'bad thing'.
Since we know that operationally a POWDER processor will work with URIs
not resources, I feel that a formal definition in terms of URIs is
likely to be closer to the day-to-day realities than one in terms of
resources.

Jeremy