Re: POWDER: URIs or resources (1)

We (the WG) are aware of this kind of problem. The original model (i.e.
the one described in the currently published docs) and the OWL/sub class
model that we have been considering moving to since TPAC [1] both make
it easy to make mistakes.

We have a section on this in the grouping document [2] which includes
the line: "...it is perfectly possible to create a set definition that
includes logical inconsistencies. A POWDER processor MUST, indeed can
only, treat such Resource Set definitions as the Empty Set."

It's something we have discussed a lot - should we make it impossible,
or at least, as difficult as possible, to make mistakes? In the end, we
decided that no, we wouldn't. That's not blind arrogance, it's based on
the fact that we expect policy makers (i.e. legally-minded cf.
technically-minded people) to be involved in the DR process. The use
cases are all pretty simple and, we for the most part, will simply
define a resource set in terms of a domain name (as do the majority of
current ICRA labels for example). Creating a complex resource set that
includes and excludes sections of Web sites would be an exceptional use
case. Whilst we don't wish to preclude uses in more complex situations,
the essentially simple case should remain simple.

Not sure if that helps this along any...

Phil.

[1]
http://www.w3.org/blog/powder/2007/11/10/summary_of_face_to_face_meeting_held_dur_2007
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-powder-grouping-20071031/#inconsistent