Re: [w3photo] vocabulary update

On 11.03.2004 08:43:29, Masahide Kanzaki wrote:

>>A region of type Rectangle uses two pairs of comma-separated integers. the
>>pairs are separated by a space. "0,0 50,100" could for example describe a
>>rectangle that starts in the upper left corner of an image, has a width of 50
>>pixels and a height of 100 pixels (i.e. the first pair describes the upper
>>left
>>corner, the second one the lower right).
>
>I think this explanation is confusing re: whether the second pair "50,100"
>means lower right coordinate, or with/height pair. I want it stay the same
>as we discussed so far, as well as the existing Jim's vocab (where 50,100
>is the coordinate of lower bottom corner, rather than width/height pair).
>
>Maybe example such as "10,20 50,100" is less confusing, and write clearly
>the latter pair is lower right coord, putting width/height notion into
>parenthesis ?
Thanks for the comments, Masahide. I agree. I removed the width/height
stuff and changed the explanation to
[[
A region of type Rectangle uses two pairs of comma-separated integers. the
pairs are separated by a space. The first pair describes the upper left, the
second one the lower right corner. An example coords value for a rectangle is
"10,20 50,100" (upper_left_x=10, upper_left_y=20, lower_right_x=50,
lower_right_y=100).
]]

>>the value
>>syntax for boundingBox is now {x1,y1,width,height}.
>
>I don't think this is the consensus. Though there was no clear conclusion,
>I think it's better be {x1,y1 x2,y2} as Rectangle (see bellow). [1]
oops, ok. I asked jim, morten and greg before I changed the doc. should I
change it back again? I could live with any syntax. another irc meeting
required? what are the pros/cons, use cases?

{x1,y1,width,height}:
+ width and height can easily be extracted
- lower right corner has to be calculated
+ people see that boundingBox != rectangle coords

{x1,y1 x2,y2}:
+ lower right corner can easily be extracted
- width and height have to be calculated
+ same syntax as for rectangle coords

can't see a "huge" advantage of any of them..
/me clueless ;)
benjamin

--
Benjamin Nowack