[w3photo] To PopUp or Not to PopUp

Ben and Bryce have raised the question regarding not using popups when
clicking on an image link from a thumbnail view.

So I'd like to put that question out to the group. The choices are:
1) As a rule don't use popups
2) Popups are okay because they separate examination of a single image
from navigation of a set of images
3) Make it a user preference.

I lean toward 2) and 3).  Both Gallery and the photo history of SIGCHI
use popups to display the full photograph, which is what influenced my
original choice. I personally think it avoids having to reload a page
full of 50 or 100 thumbnails.  I think we are going to need a user
profile/preference page anyway, so it seems easy to set a preference.
But does the popup cause problems for accessibility? For tools we want
to try?

I'm open on this issue. You all are more familiar with the audience
than myself. What makes the most sense for this application?

I do really want to keep the popup for annotating part of an image,
however. I have consistently found that feature elicits a smile and a
light-bulb as a different way to think of images.

best,

Greg