Re: Grinding to a halt on Issue 27. (off list)

On Tue, 2003-04-29 at 18:27, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> > sigh... trudge thru archives... you clearly know what text
> > you're talking about; is it so much trouble to give me a
> > pointer? or at least a date from a mail message?
> >
> > I don't see it in mail from you to www-tag this month.
> >   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2003Apr/author.html
> > More clues?
>
> Right in that message:

In what message? Oh well, no need for a pointer since you
gave me a copy.

>    Therefore, Namespaces shouldn't say that the namespaces (identified)
>    are different, even for a limited purpose.  What it should say is that
>    the identifier is assumed to be in normal form (because consistency
> has
>    its own rewards) and that no additional normalization is required
>    prior to comparison (for efficiency reasons), noting that *because* of
>    this decision, inconsistent use of equivalent URIs in the namespace
>    attributes will result in a regrettable, but not fatal, false negative
>    match when they are mixed within the same process.  Authors are
>    therefore encouraged to be consistent for the sake of efficiency.
>
> That is all that needs to be said.  It does not need to say that the
> identifiers are *different*.

Hmm... OK, that's a coherent position. It seems pretty subtle,
but it meets all my requirements, I guess.

> > And this is the second time you've replied to my requests
> > for an example without providing one.
>
> I provided an example.

Perhaps I wasn't clear: I mean an example of two URIs.
The actual strings. Not an example scenario.

>  You just didn't accept it.  That's your problem.

Let's not go there, OK?