RE: Question on section 2.7.1, Part 1

Just to elaborate a bit on the explanation below: In order for a SOAP
node to know that it can act in a certain role, it must understand the
semantics of that role. For example, for the roles named in the SOAP 1.2
spec, we define not only how they are identified but also the semantics
of acting in those roles: Acting in the role of the ultimate receiver
requires that you process the body and don't act as an intermediary and
so on.

The same is the case for roles not defined in SOAP 1.2 although we don't
say much about it in general. However, we at least recognize this model
in step one of the processing model where we require a SOAP Node to
determine the set of roles in which the node is to act.

Any extensibility should obviously be designed with care and the best
extensibility mechanism should be used for any particular extension. I
am in no way saying that the extensibility of roles should be used
instead of mU but for the specific semantics you point out below, the
notion of roles does seem to be a useful fit, especially as "forwarding"
is itself a feature not defined in the SOAP 1.2 spec as described in
section 2.7.1.

A possible definition of a "relay" role is as follows:

* * * * *

Role identifier:

http://www.w3.org/2002/06/soap-envelope/role/relay

Role semantics:

If forwarding a SOAP message, a SOAP node acting in the role of "relay"
MUST insert in the forwarded message all header blocks targeted at the
"relay" role as follows:

A) If the header block is processed, the relayed header block is the
output of the processing specified by that header block.

B) If the header block is not processed, the header block is reinserted
in the relayed message.

Ultimate SOAP receivers MUST NOT act in this role.

* * * * *

FWIW, if people find it useful, and it doesn't introduce a huge delay, I
would not be opposed to defining such a role, in the SOAP 1.2 spec,
presumably in section 2.7. However, given that we have extensibility,
and this does seem to fall in that category, I would equally not be
opposed to defining such a role in another spec.

Henrik