in defense of CSS

In http://pl.atyp.us/p2/entry.php?2002/November/25a you wrote:
> We don't really need padding and borders and margins as separate
> concepts, because they all do basically the same thing.

Your design seems to ignore the issues of *cascading* style sheets. How
would a subsheet override your magical border declaration without
wiping out all borders?

Your nesting-step proposal seems like an advanced version of float. I'd
do it this way.

#topnav { float: top !1;}
#leftnav { float: left !2;}
#rightnav { float: right !2; }

What're the position pixel numbers for?

> Another common need is for columns within a box.

This is in CSS3.

> CSS is a terrible design.

Then why have you only pointed out warts instead of design flaws?

> if CSS is the best design you've seen then you need to get out of the
> W3C pig wallow more.

I'd still like to see alternative proposals.

I suspect there are major improvements that can be made, but they don't
come easily and CSS works well. By comparison, the major brokenness and
possible solutions of email, IRC, etc. are obvious.

--
Aaron Swartz [http://www.aaronsw.com]