Re: More on XHTML as text/html

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 12:20:22PM -0600, Aaron Swartz wrote:
> >>I covered this in my last email. Appendix C informative and it doesn't
> >>say that.
> >"Appendix C" there is an error for "Section 3.1.2", which does say
> >that.
>
> It says they're not "strictly conforming".

Quoth Section 3.1 "This version of XHTML 1.0 provides a definition of
strictly conforming XHTML 1.0 documents." Elements defined *by* XHTML 1.0
may be used in documents with mixed namespaces, as described in Section
3.1.2, but these are not XHTML 1.0 documents. They are *XHTML Family*
documents, with their own DTDs. (Furthermore, XHTML 1.0 + namespaced
content will not, AFAIK, be valid XHTML 1.0). Since the only form of XHTML
permitted by RFC 2854 to be served as text/html is the Appendix C-defined
subset of XHTML 1.0, and since documents conforming to one of the XHTML
1.0 DTDs cannot include namespaces, it follows that content including
namespaces cannot be served as text/html.

> >RFC 2854 makes it mandatory that  XHTML-as-text/html follow the
> >guidelines of Appendix C.
>
> Appendix C doesn't prohibit additional namespaces nor say documents
> must be strictly conforming.

True. I simply intended to make the point that while Appendix C is
declared to be informative, RFC 2854 makes it clear that the "profile" of
XHTML 1.0 defined by Appendix C is considered by it to be the authority as
to what subset of XHTML may be served as text/html.

--
Chris Hoess