RE: WebOnt General Requirements Subgroup - Initial E-mail

Ned M. Smith

Consider an HVAC (heating, ventalation & air conditioning) system comprised
of a thermostat, furnace and chiller. Each device may be composed of
sub-devices (which I won't describe) and the conglomerate of devices forms
an autonomous HVAC system which in turn might interact with other building
or factory automation.

I may have a superficial understanding of what constitutes an ontology in
the DAML+OIL sence, but the structure of thermostat/furnace/chiller has an
ontological description. The challenges appear when trying to model the real
world of devices where innovative engineers may decide an HVAC system can
include solar panels, heat pumps or something completely new. Where does the
authoritative HVAC Class definition reside? Is it in the instance in my
building or in the mythical union of all buildings' HVAC systems?

It is the case that many suppliers produce thermostats/furnaces/chillers
that could constitute any particular HVAC system. Industry groups form
standards enabling interchangable parts, but vendors' often differentiate by
extending the standard. How might ontologies make management of proprietary
extensions easier? Interoperability?

If a customer replaces a furnace with a newer model, would there be a
history of the previous model (just in case things didn't work and we had to
rollback to the previous model)? (what if there were multiple furnai(sp?))

It is counter-productive to build a "test network" to do interoperability
testing before replacing a failed component. We expect the replacement to
function properly in the "live" network. Can the ontology help prevent
dangerous configurations / proprietary extensions?

These considerations suggest to me that the conglomerate IS the ontology.
This perspective would not REQUIRE the ontology be replicated on a single
host somewhere. Nor does it suggest that an authoritative image is required
to commission new (smart?) devices.

> >An "ontology web"
> >or "web of ontologies" has been mentioned on the list. Is scalability
> >the one word that captures all this?
>
> Yes, I wonder quite what 'scalability' is supposed to mean. Maybe an
> example of something that isn't scaleable would be helpful (?)

If a network of light switches and toasters is described by an ontology and
by adding one more toaster the other switches & toasters cease functioning
or are unable to talk to the new toaster. Scalability might mean there are
no practical limits to size and complexity of the ontology.

If a replication of the switches/toasters ontology exists on a PC and a
toaster T forgets (reset button?) its ontological description and the
replicated image (ontology) of toaster T no longer fits on toaster T ala
management operations to reconfigure. Then the replication process changed
the image - it may have been semantically equivalent, but some information
was lost. Scalability might mean optimizations for query or interoperability
implies non-lossy reverse transformation is possible.

Variation on above scenario: if toaster T1 forgets its ontology, but toaster
T2 has preserved a copy of T1's ontology and T1 is unable to get T2 to
re-configure T1 then we could say the ontology introspection does not scale.

If a switch can be used to turn on 5 toasters at the same time, but adding a
sixth toaster causes the five toasters to turn on at different times or not
at all then scalability might mean the ability to represent performance
guarantees and be able to define/apply it as a group attribute. We could say
scalability is sensitive to performance expectations.

If by removing the hardware aspects of these examples and think strickly in
terms of ontological flexibility - then some interesting requirements might
be more clear.