RE: email annotation

Salut Charles,

It's a good idea to use archives since we can leverage existing Web annotation systems.
In fact, this would also work for Web-based email clients like Yahoo!Mail.

I developped a prototype in the spirit of Yawas: a very light tool to highlight
outlook emails in your inbox. Sorry: only Outlook, only Windows :( but it's good to test ideas out.

It does not modify the original messages of course: it simply dynamically highlights them when
the user previews them in outlook.

To solve the problem of keys for documents, I currently use a signature of each email.
It is computed by simply summing all characters in the email. It has been working very well for the last 2 months on my emails.

Using a signature of the CONTENT itself is very robust: if you move your email to a different folder, the program is still able to dynamically remap the annotations.

Quick poll 1: Would anybody pay for such a tool?
Quick poll 2: What services would you like plugged on top of it?

Laurent.

http://www.w3.org/WAI
 21 Mitchell street, FOOTSCRAY Vic 3011, Australia  fax(fr): +33 4 92 38 78 22