Re: [www-amaya] <none>

On 18-02-2006 03:23, Kade Hansson wrote:

> Lars Bruzelius wrote:
>
>> 17-02-2006 which is incorrect. In this case Amaya should pick up the
>> preferred format from the system preferences, i.e. in this case
>> yyyy-mm-dd. Why the Amaya team chose the dd-mm-yyyy format for the
>> non-ISO 8601 format is beyond me.
>
> I believe it is because CVS (a commonly used version control system)
> uses this format for its date stamps.
>
> The ISO format feature was added because (naturally) some people don't
> use CVS, and they wanted a more "useful" format. (I would argue that
> both ways are equally useful, it's just that Americans and the
> Japanese prefer to mix things up. Their prerogative, I suppose.)
>
> Archer
>
> End.

I don't know about the japanese, but the common US date format is
MM-DD-YYYY, which does not match either of the formats used by Amaya.

Most or all european countries use the date format DD-MM-YYYY, so
that might be why the Amaya developers (and the developers of CVS)
chose that format. Some of the Amaya developers are from europe,
after all.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Christian Rębild / Christian Raebild