Re: 2.5pre: other scrolling problems.

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000 Irene.Vatton@inrialpes.fr wrote:

> > Sometimes when scrolling backwards the scrolling just stops.

I've seen it in both directions now. At least it is overcome with the page
up/down keys. The similar problem I saw in 2.4 just hung everything.

> That bug is in our list. It will be treated as soon as possible.

Thanks.

> > Also, frequently, when scrolling fast, various flashes of color, double
> > exposures, etc. When I stop scrolling, sometimes the spurious effect stays
> > in effect.
>
> To change that we need to reconsider our selection strategy and that
> won't be done in the next release.

I did more testing on this and the "wild ride scrolling" and found that
CTRL-UP and CTRL-DN scroll pretty smoothly. Nice. Perhaps the plain UP and
DN code could learn something from CTRL-UP and CTRL-DN.

Gary Klesczewski mentioned the trick of touching the mouse button after
you stop scrolling to have the text cursor be positioned on screen again
where you just scrolled to. This works very nice, too.

Perhaps we could combine these: have the text cursor UP and DN keys
function as CTRL-UP and CTRL-DN do until you stop scrolling. Then the text
cursor is automatically placed on the screen somewhere.

Selection is done with SHIFT-arrow-key, so there should be no confusion
here for Amaya.

Eddie Maddox
eddie@mngovsci.com