Re: Entity bug report

> Hi,
>
> I use Amaya for most of my HTML editing.
>
> Recently, I wanted to create an "infinity symbol". I discovered that the SGML
> markup entity for the symbol is &infin; (I think I found this on the Unicode
> Web site (http://www.unicode.org/)). I couldn't work out how to enter unusual
> entities in Amaya, so I resorted to inserting it with Emacs to see if it would
> render correctly. It renders correctly in Amaya and MSIE 4.0, but not Netscape
> 4.5 or HotJava 1.1.5.

You can insert the set of entities with the greek palette provided by the Math
button.
The only problem is that in 1.4a version Amaya generates a span around the
entity.
We're fixing this bug in the next release, but today you have to remove this
span
by hand.

> However, now I get to my bug report:
>
> After editing the file containing &infin; in Amaya 1.4a on Solaris, the file
> is saved with the Yen symbol (¥ - ISO8859-1 code 0xA5, Unicode 0x00A5) instead
> of my hand-edited entity reference which should be unicode 0x221E, Symbol font
> code 0xA5.
>
> The same thing has happened with other SGML entities I have tried which are
> not in ISO8859-1 (eg &alefsym; turn into À).

I tested that on the 1.4a version and it worked well: &infin; remains &infin;
after
a save.