Re: [Announcement] Amaya 1.4 public release

> Hello,
>
> This morning, I obtained, extracted and build Amaya 1.4 successfully on my
> HPUX 10.20 machine. No problem so far. Now the installation and  first time
> running Amaya 1.4. I already have amaya 1.3a running so I know what to
> expect.
>
> Installing the software, I started putting amaya 1.4 over 1.3a:
> - `gmake install` complained: the softlink from the bin directory to
> 	the real executable cannot be created.
> 	True, it was already available.
> 		Please update the install with a check for existing
> 		of components and act on it.

Done

> Since putting 1.4 over 1.3 was an accident, I moved the 1.3 install tree
> and installed amaya 1.4 in a fresh place:
> - `gmake install` complained: the directory given with
> 	`configure --prefix=...` is not available.
> 		Most installs create this directory but amaya does not.
> 		It would be nice if the install creates the directory.

You have to do make uninstall to remove the previous installation.

> After creating the prefix directory:
> - `gmake install` complained: the <prefix>/bin directory is not available.
> 	Since other subdirs are created, the install must create
> 	this dir as well.

That should work in next release.

> So far so good: I succeeded in installing. Now the running part: In the
> source tree, there is a lot of documentation in the doc directory. These
> docs are not installed with `gmake install` and there is no target in the
> makefile to install this documentation on its own (at least, not
> documented).
> Please install the documentation with the executable.

Done

> Ok, I copied the doc directory to the installation and I started amaya. With
> Amaya 1.3 I have not put a homepage in my .thotrc file, homepage is empty.
> This expects amaya to start with an empty page but it starts with:
> /appl/tools/amaya/share/thot/amaya/AmayaPage.html. I recal I've updated
> amaya 1.3 to take this page for a default homepage but I never put it in the
> settings for 1.4. I found the name AmayaPage.html in the file amaya/init.c
> but the file is not in the doc directory. Where is AmayaPage.html? How can
> I configure a default homepage (being empty)? Please update the defaults
> for Amaya to something that works after install: default the homepage
> to this AmayaPage.html on the local file system.

The amaya home page is located in the directory Thot/amaya
If you want to set your default home page you have to edit the variable
HOME_PAGE=xxx in your file $HOME/.thotrc but xx should exist.
Personally I open by default my HotList.html file.

> By the way: The help->browsing (and other help->...) button directs to
> something on the web (the proxy username & password box comes up) but
> crashes amaya once it arives. In the distribution, there is a file
> doc/amaya/Browsing.html. Please default amaya to obtain the help info
> from the local file system, not from the web.	This speeds-up the help
> on our side and does not slow down your server.

Amaya look for the help page on the Web because the install procedure
doesn't copy the documentation. That should be fixed in next release.
Nevertheless Amaya shouldn't crash.

> By the way, I got amaya running and as far as I can see, 1.4 is better
> than 1.3. Thanks for Amaya.

Thanks