Re: Bug reports . . . 17 of them . . .

Andrew Pam <xanni@glasswings.com.au> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 12, 1999 at 07:41:12PM -0600, Paul Derbyshire wrote:
>> I did a search on the net for free Win9x TeX editors. There was
>> nothing like LyX or KLyX or KDE mentioned in the results...indeed,
>> nothing free.

> Oh, you're running Windows!  Ah, well, that explains it.

Explains what?

> Since the QT toolkit is available for Windows...

QT toolkit? What's a QT toolkit?

> ...it should be fairly straightforward to compile KLyX for Windows if
> you feel so inclined.

I was, if you recall, interested in a FREE TeX solution.

KLyX ..........  free
QT toolkit ....     ?
MSVC/Borland .. $200+
---------------------
Total ......... $200+

Hardly free.

> Most people who need a free graphical TeX-based editor are presumably
> using Unix, so there doesn't seem to have been much demand for a
> Windows version.

Why "presumably using Unix"? Scientists and mathematicians use TeX a lot.
I doubt they all happen to have Linux on their PCs. PCs, after all, always
ship with some sort of a Windoze or other. Although you can get Linux as
well. I do, in fact, plan to get a Red Hat Linux partition set up,
eventually...