Re: TeX

Pierre Wargnier <pierre@kerlaran.rotary.studenthem.gu.se> wrote, using a phony
email address:

> Learn to type LaTeX without WYSIWYG. You will avoid the hasle of
> finding an editor and that not that hard. And for me I foud easier to
> write \section{title} than to search in menus and try to find what is
> wrong with the vertical spaces and other things. LaTeX is like HTML,
> easier, because you have not to work around the mess things between IE
> and NC.

It's ASCII and not binary? Even still, you want to be able to preview it
while you're working on it. For that you at least need a TeX viewer/browser.
And unlike HTML I don't see a gazillion Web sites with
tutorials and documentation and guides to the syntax and the like.

> Realy you should not fear plein text, it just like writing an email and
> putting few things like \begin{thebibliography} in it ;)

Sounds okay, if only there were easy-to-find and easy-to-understand
documentation on the format, plus a viewer/browser...

> Scientist don't have always Linux but they can have UNIX (computers
> existed before MS :)

Like workstations and that. Well, that depends. Big universities often
have a Unix network set up, often Linux nowadays on a batch of PII 200s
or something.
But strapped-for-cash students and mathematicians don't always have
access to that kind of stuff, and you won't believe what a hassle it's
been for me trying to get a hold of a Red Hat CD-ROM. It's like the guys
that produce/distribute it have the crazy notion that every Tom, Dick, and
Harry has their own car and the kind of income that covers the cost
of petrol...

By the way Mr. Wargnier, it's quite rude to send mail with a phony return
address. It was quite annoying for me to get the bounce informing me that
there's no such host as the machine you claimed to be from, and then have to
resend my reply to the whole mailing list so that you'll see it...
Plus it exposes everyone on the mailing list to yet another post on a thread
that has veered quite far from being related to Amaya...