Re:Tex AND Bug reports . . . 17 of them . . .

Paul Derbyshire wrote:
[ stuff about where to find things TeX, or rather the lack
  of places ]
TeX, like perl, has something called a Comprehensive Archive
Network.  Look for something called CTAN.

If you don't need source with a Linux distribution, there
are binary only CD-ROMs "out there" for around a $1 (US)
of the RedHat, SuSE, Caldera, .... variety.  Off the top of
my head, I can't remember the name of any company that distributes
these cheap Linux CD-ROMs, but there are a few.

> Andrew Pam <xanni@glasswings.com.au> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 12, 1999 at 07:41:12PM -0600, Paul Derbyshire wrote:
> >> I did a search on the net for free Win9x TeX editors. There was
> >> nothing like LyX or KLyX or KDE mentioned in the results...indeed,
> >> nothing free.
>
> > Oh, you're running Windows!  Ah, well, that explains it.
>
> Explains what?
>
> > Since the QT toolkit is available for Windows...
>
> QT toolkit? What's a QT toolkit?

He was talking about the "K" Development Environment, KDE.
It was built on top of a toolkit called QT.  QT was originally
released as free for personal use, but not for commercial,
and it didn't use the GNU Public license.  I believe that QT
has recently changed the licensing.  It is a library of GUI
calls.

> > ...it should be fairly straightforward to compile KLyX for Windows if
> > you feel so inclined.
>
> I was, if you recall, interested in a FREE TeX solution.
>
> KLyX ..........  free
> QT toolkit ....     ?

Apparently free, even for Windows.

> MSVC/Borland .. $200+

Why not use the GNU C Compiler for DOS/Windows?

> ---------------------
> Total ......... $200+

Total still zero.

> Why "presumably using Unix"? Scientists and mathematicians use TeX a lot.
> I doubt they all happen to have Linux on their PCs. PCs, after all, always
> ship with some sort of a Windoze or other. Although you can get Linux as
> well. I do, in fact, plan to get a Red Hat Linux partition set up,
> eventually...

The differences between Linux and UNIX are slight.  The biggest
difference being that the Linux community doesn't want to pay to
use the trademark (IMHO).

Gordon Haverland