Re: role="text" and text frames

From: James Teh <jamie@nvaccess.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 12:31:00 +1000
To: Alexander Surkov <surkov.alexander@gmail.com>, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>
Cc: W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>
Hi Rich, Alex,

I've come to expect that text frame would have accessible text based on
its current usage. I think I agree with Alex that ideally, it would have
AccessibleText. However, I do understand why this role might be chosen
for the purpose you describe. Looking at the NVDA code, I don't think
there is anything that *depends* on this role having AccessibleText.

The text frame role is currently a generic container. As such, we would
try to traverse inside it for browse mode, rather than just accepting
its accessible name. Would servers be exposing children in this case?
I'm guessing not, in which case this should be fine.

Was ROLE_SYSTEM_STATICTEXT considered?

Jamie

--
James Teh