Re: Managed states related to aria states (was "Re: [aapi] UAI TF Meeting Agenda Tue Feb 24 2015").

On 2015-03-17 11:58 AM, david bolter wrote:
> Sure, but the list wanted here is to be scoped to ARIA. ...

No, based on our previous meetings, we had decided that the list wanted
is scoped to AAPI states -- we had progressed that far at least.  The
relevant text in the mapping spec [1] states (my emphasis), "[User
agents compute managed states] in the same way as for ordinary elements
that *do not have WAI-ARIA attributes* present.",

> To resolve this action it might be easiest for us to document all
> managed states (perhaps with Dominic etc) and then pick out the ARIA
> specific cases.

We had decided to resolve this issue by starting with documenting all
managed states,  Yes, it might be useful thereafter to point out which
ones are covered by ARIA, but we agreed to produce a complete list of
managed states to begin with.

On 2015-03-17 11:40 AM, Alexander Surkov wrote:
> If you don't want describe things in HTML terms then you need to have
> sort of universal neutral language. Not sure how to approach to it.

Right, I don't want to describe things in HTML.  The current text does
not describe things in HTML terms.  Regarding a neutral language, that's
what I was saying earlier, when I wrote:

> A second problem with the current text is that the states it does list
> are all MSAA states.  There needs to be a neutral way to express these
> states since it's is not just about a user agent managing MSAA
> states.  User agents also manage IA2, ATK, UIA, and/or AXAPI states.
> I'm not sure exactly how to pull that off, but I'm thinking about it.

[1]
http://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/master/core-aam/core-aam.html#statePropertyMappingGeneralRules,
first list item.

--
;;;;joseph.

'Array(16).join("wat" - 1) + " Batman!"'
            - G. Bernhardt -