From: Cynthia Shelly [mailto:cyns@microsoft.com]
Sent: Mittwoch, 29. Januar 2014 02:32
To: James Craig
Cc: Bryan Garaventa; T.V Raman; jongund@illinois.edu; jason@jasonjgw.net; wai-xtech@w3.org; w3c-wai-pf@w3.org WAI-PFWG
Subject: RE: Summarizing the contentious history of re-opened PFWG-ISSUE-348: Consider renaming (now actually 'deprecating' in ARIA 1.1) role="presentation" to avoid avoid author confusion

Hmmm....
People don't like alt="" and may not like this for similar reasons.

It can sometimes it can be difficult to teach, especially to people who don't really know the difference between null, empty string, none, blank and space.  There are many such people creating web content, though they are less likely to deal with aria than with alt.

Other than that issue, I've always been ok with alt="".  Does anyone recall why people dislike it?