Re: Regarding the accessible name calculation for aria-label within links?

I really am glad that we've had the chance to talk about these things,
because it highlights what I think is a fundamental issue regarding the
successful implementation of ARIA for AT users, and whether ARIA can be used
as a scalable accessibility solution for end users.

I do understand your point about the name calculation not being relevant in
all cases, and I agree. I don't think it is possible to use one algorithm
that covers all element types equally, covering static containers with
embedded active elements, active elements of one type such as links and
buttons versus active elements like form fields with embedded content,
frames, and so on.

In one confusing statement in the naming calculation for the spec, it states
"Authors can use the current section as a guide for creating names and
descriptions in their markup.", which is why I get developers creating ARIA
implementations that they just assume will work, even though in practice for
ATs, they don't.

I wish there was a general recommended algorithm specifically designed for
each AT type, that would at least break out individual element combinations
and desired calculations, so that there would at least be some sort of
process for doing this consistently within ATs.

E.G

Algorithm for Screen Readers
Links and Buttons: Native A or BUTTON or via role=link or role=button:
Follow naming calculation A.
Form Fields: Select or role=listbox, Edit Field or role=textbox: Follow
naming calculation B.
Static Containers: Non-Active Static Elements (DIVs, SPANs, etc.): Follow
naming calculation C.
Etc.

Algorithm for Voice Navigation Software

Algorithm for Screen Magnifiers

I know this is wishful thinking, and it has nothing to do with the W3C.

To be honest though, I don't think this problem will ever be solved without
such a general recommendation for ATs, because interpretations will always
very widely and some will never implement anything, because it's too
difficult and expensive for some AT venders to figure it out, especially for
the last two types.