Re: [aria] example of aria-owns in section "Example: building a tree widget"

Hi Alexander. My responses are inline below.

On Jan 26, 2009, at 12:32 AM, Alexander Surkov wrote:

> There is an example of aria-owns usage In the section "Example:
> building a tree widget" (http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria/#Exampletree):

> …
>
> which is described as " In the following example, the aria-owns
> property indicates that the item with id "yellowtreegroup" should be
> considered a child of the div element with the property, even though
> it is not a child in the DOM.".
>
> It sounds aria-owns attribute should be placed on "yellowtreegroup"
> element instead of external treeitem element. So that this example
> should be corrected by the following way

> …
>
> Do I understand right?

The code sample and verbiage are correct, but I believe I understand
your confusion. The intended outcome was to have a nested tree group,
where "Bell Peppers" and "Squash" are children of "Yellow." The
equivalent of this:

   Yellow

Your code sample would also be correct, but would end up with "Yellow"
being a sibling of the other two. Like this:

The confusion is partially due to the fact that the previous example
changed and partially due to the fact that it's a little less
intuitive to have a group being a child of an item. It's also somewhat
strange to have bell peppers–usually green–under a yellow category.

The example should not be overly complex, so we should take your idea
for an aria-owns example that adds an item as a child of the group,
rather than a group as the child of an item. How about something like
this:

<h3 id="header">Vegetables</h3>
<ul role="list" aria-labelledby="header" aria-owns="external_listitem">
   <li role="listitem">Carrot</li>
   <li role="listitem">Tomato</li>
   <li role="listitem">Lettuce</li>
</ul>