looking at
http://www.stuffandnonsense.co.uk/archives/naming_conventions_table.html
data from there:
http://www.themaninblue.com/ <div id="footer">

 http://www.wubbleyew.com/ <div id="header">

http://hivelogic.com/ <div class="box" id="header">

http://stopdesign.com/   <div class="footer1" id="footer">

 http://www.hicksdesign.co.uk/journal/   <div id="footer">

note have only gone through the first few sites listed.

if you look at the sites their use of footer and or header maps onto the
aria landmarks single use for a chunk of the page banner = top of page and
contentinfo = bottom of page

if anybody thinks its worhwhile i would be happy to do a full survey of the
data
http://www.stuffandnonsense.co.uk/archives/naming_conventions_table.html
regards
stevef