hi ann,
firstly sorry to answer a question with a question, but where is the
rationale for allowing multiple headers and footers in a page?
I have seen the data, from google etc, but there appears to be no data on
authors using header and footer constructs in the way described in the spec.

landmarks are navigational regions http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria/#region

banner is defined here http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria/#banner
contentinfo is defined here http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria/#contentinfo

there is more detail here about structuring web pages using landmarks :
http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria-practices/#kbd_layout

I am not saying that header/footer as specced should not be supported by AT
but if they appear multiple times in a document they should not be
considered landmarks and should be supported in a different way to
landmarks.

regards
Stevef

--