Re: ARIA BPG Issue: we should not be decreeing complex keyboard interactions

James,

Sadly, that's not where the web went.

In order to make web widgets that work everywhere people had to implement
the widget code in JS. ARIA widget markup is just about describing what
the widgets are and what state they're in.

What most people hope is that most of the ARIA widget technology becomes
less necessary over time, as proper next gen widgets become implemented
consistently across the web.  This could take many years -- no one knows
what will happen or when.

In the meantime ARIA provides a way for JS widget libraries to be
accessible. In the long run ARIA should be necessary for fewer of the
obvious widgets, and more for really interesting cases where people are
inventing new complex interactions.

- Aaron