Re: ARIA BPG Issue: we should not be decreeing complex keyboard interactions

On Sep 4, 2008, at 6:22 PM, Earl Johnson wrote:

> Would you walk thru a use case for how someone uses VoiceOver to
> interact with editable/actionable cells and read-only/navigation-
> only interaction cells in a data table and its cells?

I'll see if I can find some official documentation or a demo of the
concept.

Basically though, in the standard linear reading order, you land on
complex widgets like a table grids and are alerted to the item's label
and type. For example, "Employees table." At this point, you can
either navigate past the widget, or choose to "interact with Employees
table." Once you are interacting with the table, your navigation
control is limited to that table until you "stop interacting with
Employees table."

For example, if you were interacting with a table nested inside
another table, key controls for "read row" or "sort by this column"
would only affect the table you are interacting with, and not the
outer containing table. Once you chose to stop interacting with the
inner table, those same key controls would then apply to the outer
table. This navigation model allows the user to "drill down" into the
item they want to affect, and then "move up out of it" when they are
finished.

If you were to think about it in terms of the Document Object Model,
interacting with a widget essentially prevents key or navigation
events from bubbling up to ancestor nodes. You might also think about
in the sense that when you interact with a complex widget, you
effectively disable everything outside that widget until you choose to
stop interacting with it.

James