RE: Aria Roles vs. Keyboard Shortcuts in the DHTML Style Guide

Don, Kenny,

this is a great overview table.

It is of particular interest to know if for some ARIA role - Styleguide
combinations denoted with "N/A" the keyboard navigation to/from it
should be left to AT or not.

For instance, take the navigation to/from an Article region. I can
imagine some native AT dialog that lists regions and pops up on some
magical key combination and there we go with list navigation inside to
select the regions .. But this is not defined that AT should do this
(and I think we should at least think about such a definition in the
back of our minds).

The "we-do-all-without-AT-navigation" alternative would in turn require
that we talk about implementation of "zone" or "region" key combinations
(e.g. Ctrl-Alt-Tab for cycle-wise focusing different regions on the
page).

For other roles (Math?) keyboard navigation may not make any sense and
this should be also clearly stated where appropriate.

Finally, there is for roles application and document a fundamental
difference in keyboard navigation that should be somehow reflected in
the table, everybody knows that role application requires a switch-off
of the VPC modes of AT (automatic or manually) and consequently this
affects element-to element navigation (TAB/Shift-Tab and Arrow keys in
grids), whereas document navigation mode is always using arrowing and AT
VPC modes.

-       Stefan