Re: ISSUE-78 (Limiting duplicate landmark roles): Limiting duplicate landmark roles (Was: Update Documentation for Landmark Feature in ARIA Specs) [ARIA 1.0]

On 19 Nov 2008, at 4:55 PM, Protocols and Formats Working Group Issue
Tracker wrote:

> ISSUE-78 (Limiting duplicate landmark roles): Limiting duplicate
> landmark roles (Was: Update Documentation for Landmark Feature in
> ARIA Specs) [ARIA 1.0]
>
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/issues/78
>
> Raised by: James Craig
> On product: ARIA 1.0
>
> Raised by Thomas Logan
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/wai-xtech/2008Nov/0034.html
>
> ARIA documentation should be updated to clearly state number of times
> particular landmark role may appear in valid ARIA document.
>
> banner, main
> Only one element may be marked role="banner" within "document" or
> "application" descendants.
> Only one element may be marked role="main" within "document" or
> "application" descendants.
>
> See reference thread for proposed algorithm.
>
> complementary, contentinfo, navigation, search
> Explicitly state that multiple regions may have this landmark role
> set.
>

> Reference October Threads on Landmark Role
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/wai-xtech/2008Oct/0013.html
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/wai-xtech/2008Oct/0011.html
>
> Reference ARIA Draft
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria/
>
> Reference ARIA Best Practices
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria-practices/

When we discussed this at the Venice F2F, we compromised.  We did not
put in any hard cardinality constraints on the number of times any
of the 'landmark' roles could appear in any given scope.  Rather, we
agreed to add something to the Best Practices urging authors to hold
down the number of @role='main' elements in the page by grouping the
main content in containers and setting the @role='main' on these
containers.

This result is reflected in ACTION-107 which still has not been
carried out, btw.
http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/actions/107

Authors will not always have contiguous blocks of main content without
interleaved secondary, contentinfo, etc. sections.  One may still
have regions
that contain <article role='main'> and <article role='secondary'> mixed
and interspersed.  So that there would be > 1 of each role in that
scope.

Suppose a site uses a layered banner structure:
one global <div> that is on all pages and various reused but not
global menu and
additional <div>s stacked below or around this that add menu and tool
bars.  These
appear selectively in the banners of subsidiary pages of one or
another genre.  Do
we really want to require them
to wrap the several <div>'s in this stack into yet another just to
get the right scope to
set @role='banner' on?  One could consider that a sequence of three
full-wide-box
damage to the PWD user experience.