Re: ARIA in HTML -- a new FAQ, and a proposal

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 17:22:50 +0200, Aaron M Leventhal
<aleventh@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Firefox will check for the role attribute in this order:
> 1. Unnamespaced role, but this kind is only checked if text/html or
> application/xhtml+xml (not checked in XUL or SVG)

Do you mean only for HTML elements or elements in the
http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml namespace? (I don't see any reason why role
attributes in no namespace on elements in the http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml
namespace should not work in XUL or SVG host documents.)

> 2. http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml  (we still need to support this as it's
> officially part of the XHTML role attribute module, and I believe it is
> being used out there right now. Our current crop of examples uses that.)

The XHTML role attribute module seems to be a bit confused on this point,
but AFAICT the intent of the spec is to have the role attribute be in no
namespace for elements in the http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml namespace (e.g.
the attribute is in no namespace in all examples in the spec). Can you
point to any existing content that relies on this to be supported?

> 3. http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml2
>
> We go from least obscure to most obscure in our priority.

Ok.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software