RE: request for sample page structure analyses

At 1:36 PM +0100 10/21/04, Pawson, David wrote:

>Question please Al.
>   Who are the primary audience for this vocabulary?
>If its geeks or the man in the street, I'd probably
>choose different words?
>
>Any suggestions please?

Please, each of you contributing page structure descriptions, use
terms that appeal to you.

I don't want us to poison the process by suggesting what kinds of
terms are good or bad for this purpose.

People who experience the web as consumers should use terms that are
meaningful to them in that context.

People who design user experiences should use terms that appeal to them.

People who design page transforms to make pages more usable under
exceptional circumstances should use terms that appeal to them.

We need to explore the variety of ways that the page structures could
be described.

In the end I think that we will have to make compromises between
capturing the information that makes the model work across different
presentations and couching the questions in terms that people can
readily relate to.

But the best way to do this is to overrun the bounds of the feasible
range with respect to user-friendly vs. transformer-friendly. [And
here user-friendly includes both consumer-users and producer-users of
the notation.]  And to make the tradeoffs in terms of actual concepts
in circulation, not from scratch.

Because even the terms that fall outside what we eventually settle on
as the right band help to explain why some terms work better for some
stakeholders.

Al