Re: Mailing list archives: feeback requested onproposedimprovements (3: messages)

At 10:57 AM 2002-03-28 , Steven Pemberton wrote:

>> Are you really using http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ ? I find it
>> unusable.

I use it and its peer in Member space all the time.  How are you trying to use it?

It's the way I find out how they spelled the name of some list I am looking for, including when I don't know if it is Member or Public.  I can usually guess enough of a substring of the list name to find the list quickly in this listing.  I can quickly scan all lists with 'dom' in their name and pick the one I want.

I also operationally use the URL path hierarchy in getting there.  I go in my history list to either a Member or Public message page I visited, and truncate the URL to go to the index.

Since I am doing this with character deletes in a command line, I get to

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/

before I reach

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/

and so I never get to the latter (where I get a 403 error anyway). since the former gets me what I want.

Al