Re: Mailing list archives: feeback requested on proposedimprovements (3: messages)

le jeu 28-03-2002 à 13:14, Steven Pemberton a écrit :
> Oh, I'm very sure of this one. The only reason that mail messages need to be
> in monospace is that some people do layout with whitespace. Monospace is a
> relatively difficult-to-read font; proportional spaced fonts are always
> easier to read. However, there is nothing in the headers that require you to
> display them in monospace. Therefore, to make a more readable page, you
> should minimise the amount in monospace by displaying the headers in
> proportional.
>
> See my example at http://www.cwi.nl/~steven/w3c/lists/ml-message.html (I
> also reduced the size of the Message-id line, because it contains no
> readable information, but you might want to refer to it on rare occasions.)

OK, good point. I'll implement that too.

> (In an ideal world I would like to choose per email if it is in a <pre> or
> not. Look at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-html-wg/2002JanMar/0380.html and
> weep).

A suggestion then: we could add an alternate stylesheet removing the
pre-formating of the <pre> element. What do you think?

> > Your version is interesting, but some things won't work in production
> > mode: for instance, a message can have several "Next" and "Next in
> > thread" messages: how would you incorporate them in one list?
>
> I don't think I ever saw more than one [next]; I have seen more [reply]s
> though. What's hard about
>     [next] [previous] [in reply to] [next in thread] [reply] [reply] [reply]
>
> ?

Right, I realized that I was wrong and that only "reply" could have
several instances. In my new proposal
(http://www.w3.org/2002/03/archives-improvements/ml-message), I have
added a link [ replies ] to the list of replies at the bottom of the
page.

> > yes, you can. The link "this list, more time" is supposed to link to 2
> > in 3 and 4.
> Are you sure? Because of the word 'more', I assumed it meant a different
> version of level 3. (I couldn't try it because the link didn't work).

Yes, I'm sure. The link has been changed to say "more about this list".
I think that's clearer.

> > I don't think that there is a so strong relationship between 2 and 1.
> > See my reply to David's mail:
> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/wai-xtech/2002Mar/0028.html
>
> But I thought David's suggestions were really good. I think there is a
> strong relationship between all the levels, and I use them all (and would
> use the missing ones if I could, and often get annoyed that I can't navigate
> easily to level 2).

Are you really using http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ ? I find it
unusable. I have added more background to my comments if you're
interested:
	http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/wai-xtech/2002Mar/0047.html

Dom
W3C's Webmaster