RE: Definition: Media equivalents

Sorry

I lost the track.   Are these definitions or recommendations.     The
imperative sentence form doesn't look like a definition.

Smell and vibration are not equivalents of very much I don't think.
If you mean a vibratory equivalent of a ring....  yep -- but only if
device will always be in contact with the person when the alert is to
take place.

Smell??     I guess you could smell a call coming in.   need good air
circulation or a very strong smell

But as equivalents for most information......?

I think you can (and should) make it general in the definition.

But I think we need to be careful on the examples of equivalents to not
confuse verbal and non-verbal modalities.

Oh - and where we say "text"  shouldn't we say if it is 'data-text' or
'visual-text'.. (I'm not suggesting these terms -- but you get what I
mean

Regards,

Gregg

------------------------------------
Gregg Vanderheiden Ph.D.
Ind Engr - Biomed - Trace,  Univ of Wis
gv@trace.wisc.edu

Behalf Of
> Charles McCathieNevile
> Sent: Sunday, June 23, 2002 6:34 PM
> To: Katie Haritos-Shea
> Cc: 3WC WAI X-TECH
> Subject: Re: Definition: Media equivalents
>

> -wcag
>
> Yep, I agree that we should have different modalities covered. I think
we
> should generalise the first bit, then use audio descriptions and
captions as
> examples.
>
> Cheers
>
> chaals
>
> On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Katie Haritos-Shea wrote:
>

>   This is another term where I think it would be a good idea to
provide
>   language that includes other sense modalities (tracks).  I realize
that
>   it is a bit premature to include "synchronized smell" and
"synchronized
>   vibration" tracks, but, I think we should have language that covers
this
>   eventuality.
>

>   <quote>
>
>   Media equivalents
>   present essential audio information visually (captions) and
essential
>   video information auditorily (audio descriptions).
>
>   captions are text equivalents of auditory information from speech,
sound
>   effects, and ambient sounds that are synchronized with the
multimedia
>   presentation.
>   audio descriptions are equivalents of visual information from
actions,
>   body language, graphics, and scene changes that are voiced (either
by a
>   human or a speech synthesizer) and synchronized with the multimedia
>   presentation.
>
>   </quote>
>
>   Katie Haritos-Shea
>
>   Internet/Software/Device Accessibility and Standards
>   Strategist/Developer/Evangelist
>
>   #571-220-7777
>
>   "The best and most beautiful things in the world
>        cannot be seen or even touched.
>       They must be felt with the heart."
>                   - Helen Keller
>

> --
> Charles McCathieNevile    http://www.w3.org/People/Charles  phone: +61
409 134
> 136
> W3C Web Accessibility Initiative     http://www.w3.org/WAI  fax: +33 4
92 38 78 22
> Location: 21 Mitchell street FOOTSCRAY Vic 3011, Australia
> (or W3C INRIA, Route des Lucioles, BP 93, 06902 Sophia Antipolis
Cedex, France)