Re: Definitions: impairment, disability and handicap

If I recall correctly (and I don't know if I do, or where to look), these
definitions have been revised since 2000, which might mean the CG should
reconsider based on the new definitions.

Does anyone know more than me about this?

Cheers

Charles McCN

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Ian B. Jacobs wrote:

  Wendy A Chisholm wrote:
  > Ian,
  >
  > Where does the WAI currently define these?  I've not found anything in
  > the glossaries of the expected places (ATAG, WCAG, UAAG, "How PWD Use
  > the Web").

  We don't define impairment, disability, or handicap. Instead,
  we talk about "accessible: can be used by a person with a
  disability" and we talk about different disabilities.

  There was resistance to adopting definitions that were
  based in medical terms, I believe.

    _ Ian