Re: UA/GL duplication of effort? Re: Review of Script Techniques for Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 (part 2.)

There is a problem, if it is done in the obvious way.

Having the author set an onClick and an onFocus that lead to the same script,
if it shows up as two entries in the context-adapted "what can I do?" menu, is
a real performance degrader.

Compare with the sequence of an icon and a text link that do exactly the same
thing.  The narrowband display [including speech] user really needs these
examples to be one item, not multiple.

All this means is that we need a coordinated suite of techniques, end to end.
Not that either approach is wrong or absent.  We do need redundancy in the
content and we do need it recognizable per the format so that the UA can
handle
it appropriately, as for example folding two screen regions into one active
entity in the model before rendering it in speech.

Al

<http://www.learningdifficulty.org/develop/w3c-scripts.html#onfocus>http://w
ww.learningdifficulty.org/develop/w3c-scripts.html#onfocus
>> this is currently a non-wcag draft
>>
>> Jim lye wrote to GL:
>> ....I'm concerned with the confusion and incompatibility this could bring,
>> in
>> the WAI User Agent guidelines, the onmouseover etc. events must be made
>> available to keyboard users, therefore, if you duplicate focus and
>> mouseover - you have the situation where users will see two actions,
>> which could confuse, or equally cause scripting problems.
>>
>> Please excuse cross posting I've not had a response yet from GL.
>> and thanks.
>>
>> jonathan chetwynd
>> IT teacher (LDD)
>> j.chetwynd@btinternet.com