Re: Checkpoint 6.6 for real.

thatch@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Ian,
>
> Does the following cover both 6.5.and 6.6?
>
> 6. x When color changes, like reverse video, are used to indicate visual focus,
> or selection, allow the user to set that color (foreground and background).

> I assume you do not want to require "user control" of rendering of the standard
> focus rectangle, which would be included in the way you interpret 6.6.

I do want to control rendering of the focus rectangle if it's
not accessible. For example, I may not be able to see a thin
rectangle but I could see a thicker rectangle (e.g., line width
5pt rather than 1pt).

We can reduce the scope to colors, but I don't think that
will cover all the cases.

 - Ian

> Someone told me how to to change the "reverse video" colors in Windows. I did it
> in my NT box, and can't find the setting on my Win98 machine. Any help?

Gak, unfortunately I don't know how to do that.

> Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org> on 08/26/99 10:49:45 PM
>
> To:   James Thatcher/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
> cc:   w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
> Subject:  Re: Checkpoint 6.6 for real.
>
> thatch@us.ibm.com wrote:
> >
> > So here is the real 6.6!
> >
> > Allow the user to control focus highlighting (e.g., foreground
> > and background color).
> >
> > Question, what is focus highlighting. The focus indicator I know
> > from Netscape and IE is a dotted box, not a highlight.
>
> Perhaps this is merely a question of language then: highlight is
> supposed to mean "a mechanism used to distinguish A from B." It
> may be a dotted box, reverse video, underlining, marching red ants,
> or a higher-pitched voice. How is highlighting done by
> braille displays?
>
> It looks like we should define the term highlight in the guidelines.
> Or, use a better term. Can you suggest one?
>
>  - Ian
>
> --
> Ian Jacobs (jacobs@w3.org)   http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs
> Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814

Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814